Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hears to you Doc

Today I found out my teacher and mentor Dr. Walter Cubberly passed away last night. I am so saddened. He was a remarkable man. I took two of his courses while getting my Master's at U of H. It is rare to meet a human being who lives their life fully and authenticly. Most people just kind of blindly walk, bumping where they may. Living a life of integrity, honesty, and love is painful, scary, but real. He knew people so well. He understood their pain and helped them heal themselves, a remarkable gift. I would leave Dr. Cubberly's classes inspired, looking within myself. He felt that to be a good therapist, first we must know ourselves. Our client's can only go as deep as we have gone. While in his classes I applied all the lessons to my own life. I tried to be honest with myself, look at who I was, question it, over and over again. Needless to say I was also in therapy. In sexual counseling I wrote my paper on love and intimacy, so I could utilize it in my own relationship. Family counseling was extremely poignant because I was about to start a family of my own. I wanted to learn from the mistakes repeated through out the generations by becoming aware of what they were. It was not easy. The last time I saw Dr. Cubberly was after I wrote a paper on my family. It was a novella, 60 pages long. My story was the that of my great grandfather, my grandmother, my mother, and of me. It was scary, sad, and beautiful all at the same time. I went to his office to see what he thought. God, I was so frightened I'd screw up my kids, repeat all the mistakes, be a horrible mother. Our meeting was towards the end of my pregnancy. Of course he allayed all my fears, told me it was going to be OK. He said I have had two years of training (school that is), and that I would be a wonderful mother. We hugged.
When the gals were born I called him to tell him I did it. I really did it. He said, "of course you did." Just last week I was thinking of calling him. In a few weeks I go back to work. I wanted to say hello, keep in touch.
Dr. Cubberly was a kindred spirit. He was a one of those special human beings who touched everyone he met. I hope I can be as honest, as authentic, as healing, as loving and as sensitive as he was. Cheers Doc. May your loving soul find peace and light. Thank you.

5 comments:

Randi said...

I am looking for information on the passing of Dr. Cubberly. Do you have any more details? THanks!

email me @ rlhenson123@aol.com

My boss knew him well and asked me to find out more.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via a google search. You misspelled Dr. Cubberly's name. His obituary is now posted at the Houston Chronicle.

Anonymous said...

He was an amazing man. He turned my life into something worth living. He will be greatly missed!

Danna said...

Sorry to have misspelled his name. I am an idiot.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh! I had Walt for clases at UH, too. He was a great mentor, but a bit of a flirt... I cannot totally blame him...he turned me on!