Monday, May 4, 2009

Home Now

I just got back from Philly yesterday. Everyone survived. I had a wonderful time, though at some points it was riddled with guilt. As usual, I ate my way through my vacation. About three pounds later I am currently on detox! My body just ain't made the way it used to be. A hangover usually lasts about a day, now it takes two or three. While in Philly I hit a few great restaurants.
My wonderful friend Keith treated me to a FABULOUS meal at James. James is actually across the street from my old apartment, so going back to the hood was nostalgic and fun. Everything was perfect. James got best new chef 2008 from Food and Wine magazine. It is one of the hottest places in Philly to eat. We had wild ivory salmon poached in olive oil topped with trout caviar. It was silky butter with a hint of salt. I will dream about this dish. We also ate mullet (not Amara's hair, but the fish) which was in a chicken consomme. The outside of the fish was crispy good. The dish reminded me of the ocean, which is what I believe it was supposed to do. We also at ricotta gnudi with braised pork belly. Gnudi is a large, cloudy puff of gnocchi. There was a fresh pea rissotto with bacon ice cream that was a salty, fresh tasting, bite of creamy goodness. My absolute favorite dish was actually a side dish of tortelli topped with crispy chick peas--I wish I knew more, so I could somehow replicate this dish. The pasta was cooked perfectly, the chick peas added great texture. Wow.
My trip has me feeling refreshed. It was not just the sheer laziness, or seeing old friends, but even though it was a short trip, it brought me a new sense of self. I have not been an "I" in a long time. I am a "we" now. I like "we", but it is nice to remember the "me" in all of it...not sure if that made sense, but it sounded good to me.
My trip reminded me of how blessed I am. My trip reminded me of just how much I love Erik, Maya, Amara, Harry, and Leo. My trip also reminded me of my history, of my friends. It is nice to have history, to be loved, and to love. I miss Philly. I miss living in a city, but most of all I miss sharing in my friend's lives. It was so great to be able to be there. I also realize that even though I miss Philly and my dear friends I like the life I lead in Houston. I am creating new stories, new history.

1 comment:

georgia said...

It was great to have you in town!!!! I'm glad you had fun.I know I did and yes you are very right ~ my hangover officially ended this morning....two days later!!