Friday, April 10, 2009

Passover

I love Passover. Most Jewish holidays are kinda depressing (well compared to Christmas). Passover is about freedom. I totally dig that. Plus, matzoh ball soup is involved, one of my favorite comfort foods, especially when I feel like ass. On Passover I get to make food that reminds me of family and gatherings. Erik and I made up our own traditions for Passover. During sedar we have philosphical discussions about the concept of freedom. This year I am not quite sure how much discussing will be going on, since there are three 14 month olds to contend with. We are making some yummy food though. I made a mocha tofu filled almond cake with dark chocolate ganache. It is made with agave nectar instead of sugar. I hope there is some left for our guests tomorow. I keep eating it! Even though there is no sugar it still tastes decadent, almost like tiramisu, but not. We are also going to make a 5 hour roasted chicken. The chicken comes out moist and succulent. Hopefully, the skin comes out crispy. We are trying a new recipe this year called Passover Puffs. Essentially, they are little souffle looking things made with spinach, mushrooms, carrots, and matzoh meal. Anything is better than the usual kugel. I am not sure about the veggie yet. First, I want to see what looks good at the market tomorow morning. This year I am not making the soup until after Passover. I wanna cook down that yummy carcass we're roasting tomorow and use that.

This will be a weekend full of cooking. On Sunday we are going to Katy (eek...it's kinds like venturing over the bridge in to Jersey from Philly) for Easter, so I am making strawberry shortcakes, with agave nectar. Since strawberries are in season here if it comes out well maybe I will post the recipe. If you're lucky!

Oh, and I will also try to remember my matzoh ball soup recipe as well. Have a happy and healthy weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ha! you knockin' jersey when you live in a swamp!? ick to texas! hee hee

Danna said...

I did not end up making the matzoh ball soup (sigh). The stock is WAY too spicy because of the rub.