Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Clean Make Up

Last week I ceremoniously threw away all of my make up. Make up is filled with nasty toxic crap like parabens and sulfates as well as other yucky substances that are toxic and maybe even cancer causing agents? Everything that goes on our skin goes in to our system. I want my body to be free of all that stuff....don't we have enough toxic shit in our food?

I had really great stuff like NARS, YSL, Chanel, and Lancome. I paid some serious cashish for that crap. I feel like make-up companies should make the stuff healthier, and they should make buyers aware of what they are buying. It really friggin sucks. Weeks ago I went to Sephora and asked them if they could recommend some CLEAN make-up. Clean make-up means it is free of parabens, suflates, ethanols, amongst other nasties that I have no clue about. The sales lady was telling me to get Lorac. Maya, my daughter, was getting pissy, so I gave them my credit card. I know I should have checked the ingredients, but I did specifically ask for clean make-up. Recently, I read the ingredients in my eye shadow and it is filled with methylparabens. When I returned the make-up they were not sure which products were clean, which to me means SAFE. I went to the sephora web site and found some fantastic, beautiful, colorful products that are free of all things cancerous and gross. They are coming in the mail anyday and I cannot wait. It is sad that the sales people in stores such as Sephora are not more knowledgable about their products, but I bet it is because most people just buy this stuff. They do not give a crap about what is in it, or they just do not know to ask.

Now, almost all of my beauty products are completely natural (oh and totally fabulous too by the way). You can get some great chemical free make-up brands at Sephora like Josie Maran ( I got these shimmery, sparkling cream eye-shadow/blush/lip compact from her that looks fab). Tarte also makes a great eye-hugger mascara as well as a natural check stain (that I am buying next because I cannot stop thinking about it), but not all of tarte is paraben and sulfate free. You really have to read the ingredients before you buy. Korres, a Greek company, makes some great eye-liners as well (I just got one in brown). I am also thinking about buying Korres concealer. I cannot wait for my package to come!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Tarte cheek stain is awesome. It is the only blush I've ever actually liked.